Welcome to The Black Velvet Lounge.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Gulla/Geechie

Post Thanks / Like

Gulla/Geechie

What's going on in the South Carolinas? Hearing some nonsense about land being stolen on some underhanded shit all in the name of beachfront property and golf developments. Anyone else heard about this?

I am fuming! What counter-measures do they have? These bastids won't quit until their shit is leveled and they realise they full a fork. Time to hit em where it hurts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Kalei~ Because humans have so many sides. www.kaleilife.com
    "Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force."
    Tom Blandi

2. Likes SteelCool, PinkPearls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JNph;138668]What's going on in the South Carolinas? Hearing some nonsense about land being stolen on some underhanded shit all in the name of beachfront property and golf developments. Anyone else heard about this?

I am fuming! What counter-measures do they have? These bastids won't quit until their shit is leveled and they realise they full a fork. Time to hit em where it hurts!!

i believe this is the last Black owned land left on the S.C. coastline.

4. Likes SCBeauty77, SteelCool, PinkPearls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maint_Man;138682]
    Quote Originally Posted by JNph View Post
    What's going on in the South Carolinas? Hearing some nonsense about land being stolen on some underhanded shit all in the name of beachfront property and golf developments. Anyone else heard about this?

i believe this is the last Black owned land left on the S.C. coastline.

Bastids

"Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force."
    Tom Blandi

6. Likes Maint_Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard about it it is south of me in one of the rural areas unfortunately it happens a lot.

8. Likes JNph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting lots and lots of African American Gullah Geechee history there. I have not visited there in awhile.

10. Likes Maint_Man, SteelCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCBeauty77 View Post
    Thanks for posting lots and lots of African American Gullah Geechee history there. I have not visited there in awhile.
    My mom and I were discussing it. She said they were tricking people out of their lands etc. claiming they owe payments etc. My gosh wid dese bastids. And it ain that we doan kno no better, it's because there is so much division. Bastids!

Tom Blandi

12. Likes SCBeauty77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mom and I were discussing it. She said they were tricking people out of their lands etc. claiming they owe payments etc. My gosh wid dese bastids. And it ain that we doan kno no better, it's because there is so much division. Bastids!

Yes that is authentic rich culture that is being sold 😔 is there anything not sacred?
    Have you been to St Helena Island?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCBeauty77 View Post

Yes that is authentic rich culture that is being sold is there anything not sacred?
    Have you been to St Helena Island?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Not yet. Was planning for a trip last year but never made it. Give me your thoughts on it.

Tom Blandi

15. Likes SCBeauty77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there are many African American millionaires, especially in the entertainment world (sports included) that could help them keep their land. And many African American churches as well. Racism should pull us together but instead it is pulling us apart. It just one of the effects of racism on African American people which has made us not knowing who we are and not even wanting to know who we are, combined with self-hatred (we are in denial of) we have for ourselves and each other.

17. Likes JNph, SCBeauty77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me it is the true essence of the Gullah Geechee culture in its truest form the dialect, the food etc.

19. Likes JNph, the moor, Zwarte Dutch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is old news. It's been going on for decades beyond. I'm surrounded by many Gullah background who come closer inland off the coast and barrier islands. There are still a modest remnant on one of the islands outside of neighbouring Georgetown-Horry Counties whom have to take a ferry to go to school, etc.

May I dare to speak my thoughts on why this annexing of properties continues. Some of the younger generation have not followed tradition of culture and moved away (mostly out of state to where living wages can be made). Something I witnessed in the years I lived here is when elders pass, the typical family feud pertaining to assets divided between children, who should pay (or "Why should I have to pay tax for land I don't live on"). Many of the younger people seem to be caught in the rock and a hard place. SCBeauty know I'm at least half correct in my perspective. You can travel the main SC coastal corridor starting in N.Mrytle Beach through Charleston (Route 17) and see a sprinkle of 3 walled hard wood roadside stands that Gullah women would sell the Sweet Baskets recognized in elite non diaspora art circles. Those stands used to be spread all over the corridor, but today have thinned significantly.

I witness "black book credit" where some of us signed credit for inflated groceries, cigs, liquor, and leasing; long term consequece of inflated interest resulting in foreclosures. I'm only reflecting on instances I witnessed, not reflecting on the whole Gullah community. Each area has its own character, but gentrification is happenings everywhere and a diaspora unified is strength, we're still not there.

The one thing that bothers me regarding commerce in the arts is the non diaspora purchasing sweet baskets and selling them at mad costs. Being objective, not sure if the brokers are sharing profits fairly. Also, all the counterfiet Gullah themed art (paintings) painted by non diaspora soccer moms, but hey...who cares?, the art is expensive... it must be worth the investment (my sarcasm to Black art buyers purchasing "Vulture" art).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes sir you explained everything to a "T". You are correct.

22. Likes JNph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwarte Dutch View Post

This is old news. It's been going on for decades beyond. I'm surrounded by many Gullah background who come closer inland off the coast and barrier islands. There are still a modest remnant on one of the islands outside of neighbouring Georgetown-Horry Counties whom have to take a ferry to go to school, etc.

May I dare to speak my thoughts on why this annexing of properties continues. Some of the younger generation have not followed tradition of culture and moved away (mostly out of state to where living wages can be made). Something I witnessed in the years I lived here is when elders pass, the typical family feud pertaining to assets divided between children, who should pay (or "Why should I have to pay tax for land I don't live on"). Many of the younger people seem to be caught in the rock and a hard place. SCBeauty know I'm at least half correct in my perspective. You can travel the main SC coastal corridor starting in N.Mrytle Beach through Charleston (Route 17) and see a sprinkle of 3 walled hard wood roadside stands that Gullah women would sell the Sweet Baskets recognized in elite non diaspora art circles. Those stands used to be spread all over the corridor, but today have thinned significantly.

I witness "black book credit" where some of us signed credit for inflated groceries, cigs, liquor, and leasing; long term consequece of inflated interest resulting in foreclosures. I'm only reflecting on instances I witnessed, not reflecting on the whole Gullah community. Each area has its own character, but gentrification is happenings everywhere and a diaspora unified is strength, we're still not there.

The one thing that bothers me regarding commerce in the arts is the non diaspora purchasing sweet baskets and selling them at mad costs. Being objective, not sure if the brokers are sharing profits fairly. Also, all the counterfiet Gullah themed art (paintings) painted by non diaspora soccer moms, but hey...who cares?, the art is expensive... it must be worth the investment (my sarcasm to Black art buyers purchasing "Vulture" art).
    Your thoughts are most welcomed. Goodness. Such a shame.

Tom Blandi

Thread Information