Welcome to The Black Velvet Lounge.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Likes Likes:  336
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Random Black History Facts, Quotes, Sayings, Accomplishments.....

2. Dislikes Oyinade disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Black Power is giving power to people who have not had power to determine their destiny.”

Huey P. Newton

4. Likes kendra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Today, 50 years ago, one of the bravest men to ever set foot on this earth, made one of the most important speeches ever to be heard in this nation and in the world. Subsequently, this speech also inspires J Edgar Hoovers FBI to officially target Dr Martin Luther King Jr's as an "enemy of the state".

See COINTELPRO [Counter Intelligence Program] ... a series of covert, and at times illegal projects conducted by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation aimed at surveying, infiltrating, descrediting, and disrupting domestic political organizations.

Soon after this speech the FBI launched a full on assault on Dr Martin Luther King Jr., by way of intimidation, misinformation, systematically bugging is home and hotel phones, placing moles and informers to his inner circle, sending pictures that might infer infidelity to his wife and etc.

7. Likes Oyinade, kendra, Zwarte Dutch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hustlehard View Post
    Today, 50 years ago, one of the bravest men to ever set foot on this earth, made one of the most important speeches ever to be heard in this nation and in the world. Subsequently, this speech also inspires J Edgar Hoovers FBI to officially target Dr Martin Luther King Jr's as an "enemy of the state".

See COINTELPRO [Counter Intelligence Program] ... a series of covert, and at times illegal projects conducted by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation aimed at surveying, infiltrating, descrediting, and disrupting domestic political organizations.

Soon after this speech the FBI launched a full on assault on Dr Martin Luther King Jr., by way of intimidation, misinformation, systematically bugging is home and hotel phones, placing moles and informers to his inner circle, sending pictures that might infer infidelity to his wife and etc.
    crossdressing J. Edgar was public enemy #1 to my people. there is no doubt in my mind that Hoover had MLK assassinated. none.

Post Thanks / Like

Tia Norfleet is the first and only black woman racecar driver to be licensed by NASCAR. The Suffolk, Virginia native actually began driving at age 4 when she spotted the keys in the ignition of her parent’s minivan. Her inner-driver made its first debut all the way through the front porch of their home.

Three years later, at age 7, her curiosity was fed with a Hot Wheels Barbie car in which her father added an extra battery for power and speed; then onto go-karts and stock cars. Only a few years later, Norfleet had racked up 22 finishes in the top 10. At 24 years old, she was embraced by NASCAR officials.

She races with the number 34, which is the same number as her father, Bobby Norfleet, also a legendary driver who holds the only minority-owned sponsorship to motorsports. Consequently, the number 34 was also the number of Wendell Scott, the first black to win a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race. The young woman driver credits her father for teaching her the ups and downs of racing based on his experience as an African-American man in a predominately non-minority sport.

Earlier this month, Norfleet made her NASCAR debut at the Motor Mile Speedway in Fairlawn, Virginia. Like her father and Wendell Scott, Norfleet started financing her own racing career through a grassroots initiative. As a result of her success, she has since been offered funds by various companies but has refused monies offered by alcohol and tobacco companies. She is currently sponsored by Verizon.

Beyond the track, both Bobby and Tia Norfleet take part in philanthropic work with organizations such as the National African American Drug policy Coalition and the Motorsports Institute, Inc.

Making a number of appearances to benefit the community each year, Norfleet uses her celebrity to mentor youth on the importance of education and following their dreams, including her Driven to Read program, which teaches kids the importance of reading and its kinship to racing.

http://blackamericaweb.com/33362/lit...-tia-norfleet/

Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes Double S, kendra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lushus2One View Post
    Didn't mean to dislike... sorry about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't tell my dad. I didn't even think twice about it. when I heard they were organizing a lunch counter sit-in in downtown in Nashville, I skipped school in the 8th grade and and mixed in with the Fisk students who were gathering at Rev. Kelly Miller Smith's church to receive instructions on how to conduct ourselves in a non-violent protest. I never considered myself any less than any other human being, and felt it was my duty to stand up and be counted for my people. those of us who didn't have money in our pockets were given 50 cents, so we couldn't get arrested for vagrancy. we entered the lunch counter and quietly sat down and waited to be served. then all hell broke loose. white men came out of nowhere and set in on us. the lunch counter was small with an entrance and exit at both ends. I was sitting in the middle. the students on either end caught the worst of it. they screamed at us and called us everything but at child of god. I just sat there. praying that I could hold my mud if one of those white crackas spit on me. then all of a sudden the owner of the establishment said everybody out. he was closing. I went back to school the next day and told no one. to this day not many people know what I did, even in my own family. when I was 14, when I was tired....when I wanted to make a difference. I've been a freedom fighter ever since. just ask the white boys on my job.
    and that's my little known Black History fact.
    Last edited by Maint_Man; 09-14-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Being Black in Canadian Culture

15. Likes Maint_Man, kendra, Inhale, Zwarte Dutch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfather of Soul James Brown lets loose during at a show during his 1974 nation-wide summer revue. (Norman L. Hunter/Ebony Collection) Sponsored By: Get On Up - In Theaters Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    "If you only see protest and movement when it's on tv that's YOUR FAULT. Just because YOU'RE not
    paying attention doesn't mean everyone else isn't. If you not seeing activists around you or movements
    taking place around you, you need to change your circle"
    -

Talib Kweli

Boston City Hall Plaza
    Free Concert on the Plaza
    August 26, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    “If you can control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his action. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one.”
    ― Carter G. Woodson, The Mis-Education of the Negro

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

21. Likes the moor liked this post

Thread Information